Thursday, October 10, 2013

Priorities.

Prioritizing is to me one of the hardest things on the planet. Often, it's difficult to notice when a priority has shifted, but before you know it, it has. 

As a christian, I'd love to always claim that my faith and relationship with God is my first priority, but almost all of the time, that is not the case. 
Having priorities for anything has to be intentional which requires a lot of effort. It is always easier to not have them, but the old saying tells "anything worth having is difficult" or something like that. 

I'm going to try my best to start doing a better job of living intentionally. This requires big commitments and big changes. I'm nervous and I'm excited. I think for me, these changes include sacrificing things I normally wouldn't. 

For example:
Most everyone knows I have a love affair with my Chacos. It's pretty intense and I think I speak for the both of us when I say we experience some pretty severe separation anxiety on days where they just aren't appropriate. While having quiet time the other day I was reminded of the need for intentions in faith. It's so easy to let the simplest and stupidest things gain a bigger connection with you that you could be giving to God instead. I've decided that for the time being I'm going to give up wearing my Chacos. By not wearing my beloved shoes, I'm reminded that there are more important things that need me. I'm reminded that I was not created to wear some groovy shoes, but I was created to walk with Christ-regardless of the footwear. I'm absolutely positive that this sounds petty, but if this seemingly small sacrifice can train me for times when a bigger sacrifice is needed of me, I'll be a little more prepared and willing to trust the Lord's plan. It is unbearably easy to idolize the dumbest things and I want to be sure to keep my priorities where they need to go so that I don't fall into an unnoticeable trap. (Now I sound a little paranoid). This is all based on faith and trust and that's what this is taking. 

Prayers are appreciated for this tiny leap of faith and for the bigger leaps that I'll surely face in my future. 

1 comment:

  1. You are the coolest! I admire any sort of sacrifice, and though it may seem like just a pair of chacos, you never know what this could end up changing! I think that taking time to really stop and consider every aspect of how you live is one of the hardest and most rewarding things you can do! Good luck and "I'll be praying for you every morning as I start off the day with the Lord."

    ReplyDelete

Remember, we're all friends here! Share the love first and foremost!