Tuesday, March 11, 2014

What's in a Name?

I was thinking the other day about how reluctant I used to be to my name. I didn't like that it was different. Now of course, I've come to my senses and realized that nothing could fit me better. I like that it stands out and sometimes needs to be pronounced multiple times so people remember it (ehh, maybe not so much that). 


It does have a little impact though. When you have an uncommon name, you get to put the meaning behind it. Some names already have a niche. "That's an old timey name" "That's a very plain name" "That girl must be a stripper" but I get to pack the punch in Parrish! I have the power behind how people receive it and therefore me. 

I know you must be thinking something like this:
You: "So cool, way to go on having a hip name" *sarcasm, etc*
Me: "Whatever Mildred. I'll run you one day"
and this is how. My name allows me to leave an impression (and impression I pick!) and not get lost among all of the John's and Katie's (Kady, KD, Kadie, Katy, Katiey, etc) of this generation. This will come in handy when I apply for jobs and the such. 

At least, this is what I'll tell myself before every major interview and application henceforth. 
I was wondering, would you name your kid something, should I say, "individual", to automatically get them ahead in the world? Is it giving them ground to be a nut? Can you deal with the resentment they may have for you, however temporary or long-term that may be?
(Photos via myPinterest)

1 comment:

  1. ANYTHING but a double name! There is nothing worse than your first encounter with people to be correcting them about your name. It makes me feel like a rude know-it-all with a snobbish name. Double names are CRUEL.

    ReplyDelete

Remember, we're all friends here! Share the love first and foremost!