Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Summer Reading.

I was looking forward to this summer a lot because I was so excited to have time to read all of the books I have stacked up waiting in my room! I haven't read half of them yet but already I want to buy new books to replenish the stack! 

I kicked off my reading spree by finishing Les Mis (wahoo!) and then reading The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. I really dislike it. But none of that matters because next I tore through Where'd You Go Bernadette? This is one of my favourites I've ever read. I loved everything about it. It was so intriguing and funny and emotional. I'm still searching for something on its playing field of glory. 


I read B.J. Novak's book One More Thing and cracked up at almost every word. His ability to surprise you and tie in his previous short stories throughout the book was awesome. My favourite chapters were "Julie and the Warlord" and "The Comedy Central Roast of Nelson Mandela". Even his acknowledgements were funny. (Duh). 

I borrowed a friend's copy of The Fault in Our Stars and read it over choir tour. It was okay. (haha. That's an amazing pun if you read the book and I didn't even intend it). But for real, I wasn't super impressed and I did not, in fact, cry for hours like everyone said I would. I didn't cry at all. I thought it was fine but just a little rushed. I never had time to invest myself in the characters because a lack of character development therefore, I didn't particularly care what happened to them. I am still looking forward to seeing the movie. I have a feeling that I will uncharacteristically like the movie better then the book in this case. 

I just finished Lauren Graham's book, Someday, Someday, Maybe on Sunday. It's a fun little summer read and  enjoyed the lightheartedness of it. I can definetly tell it's written by Lauren Graham because of the funny little rants the character sometimes goes into or the character's vendetta against certain objects like ironing boards. It makes me miss Gilmore Girls. 

I read Eleanor and Park right after I finished Lauren Graham's book. I wasn't sure I was going to like it very much because the beginning is kind of annoying but it was always easy to read. I ended up loving it! It was one of my favourites I read this summer so far. It's about two kids in the 80s who end up together kind of by chance. It's a sweet story because it's not typical. It isn't a cheesy teenage romance. The author establishes that both kids have things they are self conscious about unlike many other fictional characters. It also goes back and forth between Park's perspective and Eleanor's which allows for a complete understanding of where both kids are coming from and what they deal with daily. It made me cry at the end. If this is tough to read in the beginning, just stick with it because it certainly pays off.  

I still have plenty left to read as well as a Barnes and Noble online shopping cart filled to the brim. Have you read anything this summer? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember, we're all friends here! Share the love first and foremost!