Thursday, October 16, 2014

Artful Descriptions.

I had an assignment for the intro of my AP Language class that I really loved. Our teacher told us to pick a song, art piece, or story that describes us and then persuade the class for 2-3 minutes about its relevance to our lives. 

This project was actually slightly terrifying because this is asking you to share your vulnerability with your peers. Eek!

I knew I wanted to do a song because deciding to pick a song already said a lot about me. I am very passionate about my music taste and it has been extremely formative to the person I am and continue to grow into. 

I picked the song "Tightrope" by Yesayer (because I picking a movie wasn't an option (heyyyyy Frances Ha)). 

Here's my argument. 

So you're wishing that you never did

All the embarrassing things you've done 
And you're wishing you could set it right (1)
And you're wishing you could stay the night (2)
But then I go again, wishing never solved a problem (3)
If you wanna get it big time, go ahead and get it get it big time (4)



So I think I can solve all my problems by myself (5)
Nevermind, nevermind, nevermind, nevermind (6)
And you think you can solve all your problems by yourself
Nevermind, nevermind, nevermind, nevermind



Oh, give it, give it, give it, give it, give it
Until you just can't give no more (7)
Oh, give it, give it, give it, give it, give it
Until you just can't give no more



Oh, give it, give it, give it, give it, give it
Until you just can't give no more
Oh, give it, give it, give it, give it, give it
Until you just can't give no more

(1) Who doesn't wish this? I am constantly putting my foot in my mouth and saying the wrong thing or offending people I didn't even know were there. Aye aye aye.
(2) I joked with my class that although this could be taken a completely different way, for me it symbolized how I am a night owl and how I typically like to be surrounded by people therefore, I want to stay wherever the people are. (Much like in Frances Ha, "I have trouble leaving places." For real. I'm always the last out of all of my classes.)
(3) My inner conscious is in a consistent battle between realist and dreamer. I have big dreams for myself, but I always check the feasible reality of them so that I don't get too disappointed. 
(4) Because I'm a dreamy-realistic blend, instead of accepting that my goals are too far unattainable, I think about how I can logically take steps towards achieving them. Why not go ahead and get it? This is where my dreamy motives positively influence me to be a go-getter.

(5) I'm a pretty independent problem solver. It's important to me that I form my own opinions because I've tested them and I agree with them and it's something that I can stand up for. Frequently, my opinions differ from those of my family, which adds to my independence.
(6) But of course, even independent people need contact, advice, and help. With much help from my rationality, I know I cannot achieve everything completely on my own so the "nevermind" is the time when I realize this and ask for help. 
I said that this reiterates the idea because it's not a one-time thing. This happens often.
(7) This I took to mean how I always have the best intentions to throw myself completely into an activity or club or event or whatever but after a while, I just get so burned out and discouraged. It's again, a pretty certain pattern as it also happens on the regular.

Your turn! What would you pick? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember, we're all friends here! Share the love first and foremost!